Last year, I found I was incredibly more organized and managed to get more done if I maintained a list of the things I needed to do.
Sounds so very simple but, in reality it‘s harder than it sounds.
The good thing about keeping the list is that I am able to quantify my achievements instead of things just kind of floating off into the ether. I can look back and figure out just how much or how little progress I make in the day to day course of life.
Well, sometime around late October I wound up going off the list.
The fallout of the last couple of weeks though, the aftermath of dealing with the passing of EYOC has made it all the more necessary to get back on track. Truthfully, I’ve gotten a lot accomplished over the last few weeks which is a bit surprising and all considering the circumstances but, the big thing about progress is maintaining focus. Speaking for myself, I’m easily sidetracked and the last couple of weeks I find I’ve felt a bit adrift (which I can attribute to being part of the mourning process)...
I haven’t been on the list in awhile and this draft was from back in 2007.
Being on the list is something of a good and necessary thing for me because when I am off of it the days can just meander by without me accomplishing much in the way of forward movement. I’m just not a ball of fire when it comes to these things and I guess I never have been really.
The list though provides focus and when I am on it, things do get done.
Over the last few years though, I have managed to take on big things! These are the kinds of things that are large investments of money, time and energy. Things like getting the roof on the house done, getting myself a HELOC, getting my teeth well and truly fixed, getting and keeping a staff gig. Not small things for me at all and over the last few years I’ve accomplished much of what I set out to do.
These days though, it’s really, really hard to get motivated. The job has changed with the implementation of new process and procedures so I feel anchored to the desk even when there isn’t anything to do. Oddly enough, while I worry about an end coming with this gig another part of me is ready to move on.
I don’t know if we’ll go back into the office anytime soon but if it does happen I’m likely not going to go. That will likely be a bit of the final straw because it will involve a four hour roundtrip commute. Ass it is now, I’m chained to the computer eight hours straight and when I am done I want nothing more than just to go and lay down.
So, maybe it’s time to get back on the list because doing so will move me in the right direction and keep things from just happening taking more charge and responsibility for the direction life moves in.
No comments:
Post a Comment